St. Thomas held its first official service on Christmas Eve 1958. St. Thomas Church, at its current location, was constructed and consecrated in 1969. The first expansion took place in 1982 and included what is now Halladay Hall and the kitchen. A second expansion took place in 2006. With this expansion $1.2M was donated to renovate and expand the current worship and meeting space. During this renovation a playground, basketball court, labyrinth, nursery, enlarged kitchen, and office/clinic/classroom space was added. The year 1997 brought a change during the diocesan convention when St. Thomas became a parish. Two years later the first full-time rector was installed. Two Archdeacons have served St. Thomas as well.
St. Thomas Clinic was founded in April 1996 by St. Thomas and Johnson County leaders to address the unmet medical needs of county residents. Support from the Partnership for a Healthier Johnson County, Johnson Memorial Hospital, and Johnson County health Department was crucial in the creation of a free medical clinic housed in St. Thomas Church open to serve low income uninsured and under insured Johnson County adults. this first director, The Rev. Judith Culpepper, M.D. shepherded the fledgling clinic, establishing clinical practices, policies and procedures that mark our effort as professional and compassionate. Under her leadership, the clinic expanded to serve patients two mornings a week providing medical service, non-narcotic medications, social services referrals and prescription assistance enrollment. our founding vision remains unchanged: to live out the vision of a society in which all have access to medical care regardless of their ability to pay. http://www.saintthomasclinic.org/